Open All Night Index du Forum

Open All Night
Bruce Springsteen

FAQFAQ   RechercherRechercher   MembresMembres   GroupesGroupes   S’enregistrerS’enregistrer 
 ProfilProfil   Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés   ConnexionConnexion 

Joe GRUSHECKY DVD

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Open All Night Index du Forum -> THE PROMISED LAND -> BOSS TIME
Sujet précédent :: Sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
Chris
Administrateur

Féminin Capricorne (22déc-19jan)

MessagePosté le: Dim 11 Oct - 08:22 (2009)    Sujet du message: Joe GRUSHECKY DVD Répondre en citant

2009-11-08

New Joe Grushecky DVD includes Bruce

Bruce's old Pittsburgh pal Joe Grushecky will release a brand new DVD entitled A Good Life: The Joe Grushecky Story. The DVD is a documentary depicting Joe Grushecky's life and career, but also includes previously unreleased live footage, some of which even has Bruce in it. The two friends have performed together on numerous occassions, and Bruce produced and co-wrote Joe Grushecky's great 1995 album American Babylon and also participated on others. Several of the American Babylon songs are featured on the DVD, although unfortunately not the stand-out track (to me), "Dark and Bloody Ground". The DVD will be released on October 13 and you can order ir and watch a preview of it here. However, don't just get this for Bruce. Joe Grushecky himself is well-worth the money.
In other Bruce/Grushecky news, Grushecky's upcoming album East Carson Street is said to include the song "Another Thin Line", which Bruce and Joe wrote together. Bruce has performed it in concert several times, mostly towards the end of the 2000 Reunion Tour.

extrait à voir ici : http://www.virgilfilmsent.com/store/product.php?pid=349 ou en cliquant sur here ( dans le texte)

Visiter le site web du posteur
Wild Heart
Administrateur

Féminin Capricorne (22déc-19jan) 羊 Chèvre

MessagePosté le: Dim 11 Oct - 09:08 (2009)    Sujet du message: Joe GRUSHECKY DVD Répondre en citant

Ha ça, ça m'intéresse ...

Pier
Administrateur

Masculin

MessagePosté le: Lun 12 Oct - 16:18 (2009)    Sujet du message: Joe GRUSHECKY DVD Répondre en citant

Rocker Joe Grushecky's DVD tells his story

PITTSBURGH (AP) — In a music industry dotted with has-beens and one-hit wonders, Joe Grushecky is a shoulda-been.Music critics and Grushecky's cult-like followers have been making that argument ever since the son of a western Pennsylvania coal miner founded Pittsburgh's Iron City Houserockers in the late 1970s.
While the fame of this teacher-by-day-guitarist-by-night hovers several notches below his critical acclaim, Grushecky's collaborations with Bruce Springsteen have brought him to the edge of the national spotlight in recent years.
In "A Good Life: The Joe Grushecky Story," a documentary DVD being released nationally on Tuesday, Grushecky wonders aloud about what might have been.
"To me, I made it when we put out our first record," Grushecky, now 61, says on the DVD. "Everything else is icing on the cake."
Grushecky expanded on that theme in a recent interview with The Associated Press, sipping a Diet Pepsi just before the dinner rush in an Italian restaurant.
"We sort of made our mark here in Pittsburgh — maybe not as commercially as a lot of other people, but certainly artistically," he said. "We chronicled this city."
In 1976, Grushecky founded what was then called the Brick Alley Band with bassist Art Nardini, the only original member who is still playing in the band. Grushecky plays guitar and is the lead singer.
The band released its first album, "Love's So Tough" in 1979, after signing with Steve Popovich's Cleveland International management, which then also handled Meat Loaf and Ian Hunter.
Popovich "wanted the flavor of (Pittsburgh) in the music, the name, the look, the whole deal," Grushecky said, so they changed the name to the Iron City Houserockers.
(In an ironic coda, the band would drop "Iron City" from its name, in part, because the tires on the band's vehicles were slashed during a gig in Popovich's Cleveland. Such is the rivalry of the Rust Belt cities and, notably, their NFL teams, the Browns and the Steelers.)
That album and a second — "Have a Good Time (But Get Out Alive)" in 1980 — caused Rolling Stone magazine to brand the Houserockers "A New American Classic" and the Village Voice to dub them "The Best Rock Band in the Country."
As a Steel City chronicler, Grushecky had a wealth of material. Pittsburgh was in the throes of busting economically as the steel industry imploded. There were food banks, unemployment lines and violence.
"A good night for us was five fights, we used to count how successful our nights were by the number of fights in the bar," Grushecky said.
"We were sort of reporting from the front lines," Grushecky said. "I observed what was happening in my life and the city of Pittsburgh at that time and I didn't filter it through any romantic notions."
That proved a blessing and a curse, said Greil Marcus, then a Rolling Stone critic credited with bringing an academic approach to rock criticism.
Marcus made sure to mention each band member's name in his glowing review of the first album "because I really wasn't sure there'd be a second album."
Marcus doubted mass audiences would relate to Grushecky's blunt lyrics and a band that mixed rock, blues and punk, while at the same time defying each category.
"All the people in that band from Joe on down wore their hearts on their sleeves. Their writing didn't have the cleverness or the story sense that Bruce Springsteen had," Marcus told the AP. "With the Iron City Houserockers that's not there, it's just: 'I feel, I want, I'm afraid', and I loved that."
Mainstream America didn't.
After two more albums — Grushecky's favorite, "Blood on the Bricks", produced by guitar virtuoso Steve Cropper; and "Cracking Under Pressure," a last-ditch stab at a "commercial" record — record label MCA dropped the band in a major bloodletting in 1984.
"They fired everybody on their roster except for Elton John, Olivia Newton-John, Tom Petty and The Who," Grushecky said.
Grushecky and Nardini tired of the grind. And by then, Grushecky was married — children Desiree and Johnny were born by the late 1980s. Johnny, now 21, plays in the current incarnation of the Houserockers.
"All of a sudden music was not my life anymore ... It just wasn't the main reason for living anymore," Grushecky explains on the DVD.
Grushecky now teaches weekdays, records whenever possible, and plays a few gigs a month. He occasionally tours Europe, where Spanish fans have adopted him as their own.
Outside of his music, Grushecky is an "emotional support teacher" for learning disabled or troubled students in the Sto-Rox School District, an economically distressed area just west of Pittsburgh.
Looking to spark a moribund career in the mid-1990s, he reached out to Springsteen — a friend since E Street guitarist Steven Van Zandt helped produce the Houserockers' second album.
Springsteen called back. He got Grushecky's wife, Lee Ann, who got through to Joe at "probably the dumbest gig I ever showed up for in my life" — a Mexican restaurant in Virginia, which lacked even a public address system to sing through.
What started as a project to co-write one song became "American Babylon," an album Springsteen produced, joining a new Houserockers lineup on guitar on most tracks. An eight-song live CD from a resulting 1995 mini-tour is included with Grushecky's DVD.
Among the songs that grew out of that collaboration was "Code of Silence." Springsteen won a Grammy in 2004 for "Best Rock Vocal" for his live version of the song.
Whenever the Boss plays Pittsburgh, Grushecky and Johnny join the E Street Band for an encore or two. The buddies also jam occasionally in New Jersey bars and support one another's charities — including a 2004 benefit for Pittsburgh-area flood victims after Hurricane Ivan.
Currently, Springsteen is collaborating on a couple songs on Grushecky's upcoming album, "East Carson Street." It's about Pittsburgh's South Side, a downtrodden neighborhood being reborn with an eclectic mix of night spots and business redevelopment.
Grushecky recites the lyrics to the title track to explain why he's still plugging away:
"People said I should leave, no use hanging around. 'You want to make it boy, you better get out of this town.'
"They got it all wrong, as wrong as could be. I want to live with my friends and my family.
"So please understand, the roots they run deep. I can feel this town breathe, I can feel its heart beat. So meet me tonight down on East Carson Street."
__

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Open All Night Index du Forum -> THE PROMISED LAND -> BOSS TIME Toutes les heures sont au format GMT + 1 Heure
Page 1 sur 1

Sauter vers:  

Index | Panneau d’administration | créer forum | Forum gratuit d’entraide | Annuaire des forums gratuits | Signaler une violation | Charte | Conditions générales d'utilisation