Open All Night Forum Index

Open All Night
Bruce Springsteen

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working on a dream: the political vision of B.S.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Open All Night Forum Index -> THE PROMISED LAND -> LES LIVRES
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Chris
Administrateur

Féminin Capricorne (22déc-19jan)

PostPosted: Tue 23 Feb - 11:02 (2010)    Post subject: Working on a dream: the political vision of B.S. Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Deux livres en VO qui vont bientôt sortir

1-
Working on a Dream: The Progressive Political Vision of Bruce Springsteen ( Merci à Dom de me l'avoir rappelé  , il est maintenant dans mon panier    ) - sortie le 12 mars 2010

2-

Bruce Springsteen: Illustrated Biography de Chris Rushby (Broché - 1 juin 2010)
Visit poster’s website
allumette

Féminin Taureau (20avr-20mai)

PostPosted: Tue 23 Feb - 14:57 (2010)    Post subject: Working on a dream: the political vision of B.S. Reply with quote

Cool pour celui de photos  Laughing
le 1er à l'air bien mais trop ardu pour moi en anglais  Crying or Very sad
des images  c'est à ma portée 
We swore we'd live forever on the backstreets we take it together
Dany

Féminin

PostPosted: Sat 17 Apr - 15:27 (2010)    Post subject: Working on a dream: the political vision of B.S. Reply with quote

http://amhistnow.blogspot.com/2010/04/left-with-bruce.html
Left with Bruce

David Masciotra's Working on a Dream: The Progressive Political Vision of Bruce Springsteen steers a little too far to the left

In a 2005 omnibus review of Bruce Springsteen literature, A.O. Scott of the New York Times made the regrettable assertion about my book Born in the USA, which had just been reissued in a second edition. He wrote that it had "the effect of installing [Springsteen]  in a stable full of academic hobbyhorses rather than in a vital constellation of ideas." The regret, naturally, was all mine: Scott was right. Such, I've come to conclude, is the characteristic vice of what might be termed Springsteenians (who can be distinguished from the partially overlapping category of habitual Springsteen concertgoers I'll call BruceHeads). Like God, we tend to make Springsteen in our own image -- or, at any rate, the image we'd like him, and ourselves, to be.

In Working on a Dream, young David Masciotra, a graduate student at Valparaiso University, makes the case for Springsteen as a committed left-wing artist-activist. There is, of course, a considerable body of evidence for him to make this case, whether in terms of what Springsteen has said, done, and recorded in what is now a vast body of work. Actually, one of the best things about Masciotra's book is the sustained attention he gives to Springsteen's music of the last decade, work which has tended to be overlooked in terms of popular attention but which is likely to stand up about as well as any he produced in the previous thirty years. This is also the decade in which Springsteen has come out as an avowed partisan, campaigning for Democrats John Kerry and Barack Obama. Masciotra makes the most of these connections and many more, in a widely contextualized study that stretches from Edward Hopper to the Amadou Diallo case.

The problem is that he tends to overplay his hand. Most of Masciotra's chapters have the word politics in the title -- "the politics of urban decay," "the politics of invisibility," "the politics of American power," and so on. But while he makes some good points along the way, the analysis manages to be overly broad and reductive at the same time. In a chapter on the politics of isolation, for example, Masciotra compares the protagonist of Springsteen's 1980 song "Stolen Car" to that of both Fyodor Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment and Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead. While I do think such a parallel has at least some merit (I myself have made the comparison between the narrator of this song and Dostoevsky's Raskolnikov), the isolation in question is far more psychological than it is political. Notwithstanding the nightmares of some 21st century American liberals, the United States resembles neither Tsarist Russia nor a libertarian utopia, and conflating the three this way doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
© DDD All Rights Reserved.
█║▌│█│║▌║││█║▌║▌║║▌
²¹°¹ ³³²¹³
Wild Heart
Administrateur

Féminin Capricorne (22déc-19jan) 羊 Chèvre

PostPosted: Sat 17 Apr - 19:52 (2010)    Post subject: Working on a dream: the political vision of B.S. Reply with quote

Dany wrote:

http://amhistnow.blogspot.com/2010/04/left-with-bruce.html
Left with Bruce

David Masciotra's Working on a Dream: The Progressive Political Vision of Bruce Springsteen steers a little too far to the left

In a 2005 omnibus review of Bruce Springsteen literature, A.O. Scott of the New York Times made the regrettable assertion about my book Born in the USA, which had just been reissued in a second edition. He wrote that it had "the effect of installing [Springsteen]  in a stable full of academic hobbyhorses rather than in a vital constellation of ideas." The regret, naturally, was all mine: Scott was right. Such, I've come to conclude, is the characteristic vice of what might be termed Springsteenians (who can be distinguished from the partially overlapping category of habitual Springsteen concertgoers I'll call BruceHeads). Like God, we tend to make Springsteen in our own image -- or, at any rate, the image we'd like him, and ourselves, to be.

In Working on a Dream, young David Masciotra, a graduate student at Valparaiso University, makes the case for Springsteen as a committed left-wing artist-activist. There is, of course, a considerable body of evidence for him to make this case, whether in terms of what Springsteen has said, done, and recorded in what is now a vast body of work. Actually, one of the best things about Masciotra's book is the sustained attention he gives to Springsteen's music of the last decade, work which has tended to be overlooked in terms of popular attention but which is likely to stand up about as well as any he produced in the previous thirty years. This is also the decade in which Springsteen has come out as an avowed partisan, campaigning for Democrats John Kerry and Barack Obama. Masciotra makes the most of these connections and many more, in a widely contextualized study that stretches from Edward Hopper to the Amadou Diallo case.

The problem is that he tends to overplay his hand. Most of Masciotra's chapters have the word politics in the title -- "the politics of urban decay," "the politics of invisibility," "the politics of American power," and so on. But while he makes some good points along the way, the analysis manages to be overly broad and reductive at the same time. In a chapter on the politics of isolation, for example, Masciotra compares the protagonist of Springsteen's 1980 song "Stolen Car" to that of both Fyodor Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment and Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead. While I do think such a parallel has at least some merit (I myself have made the comparison between the narrator of this song and Dostoevsky's Raskolnikov), the isolation in question is far more psychological than it is political. Notwithstanding the nightmares of some 21st century American liberals, the United States resembles neither Tsarist Russia nor a libertarian utopia, and conflating the three this way doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

y'a pas à dire, il en sort quand même pas mal des bouquins sur Bruce ... ... bon, très peu en langue française, mais tout de même ... c'est une bonne source !

Cool
Dany

Féminin

PostPosted: Sat 17 Apr - 20:00 (2010)    Post subject: Working on a dream: the political vision of B.S. Reply with quote

Ce que j'ai copié collé vient de Jim Cullen, auteur du "born in the USA" américain. J'avais oublié de le préciser. Il a mis cet article sur sa page facebook aujourd'hui. Je ne l'ai pas mis en entier. Pour cela, il faut cliquer  sur le lien.
© DDD All Rights Reserved.
█║▌│█│║▌║││█║▌║▌║║▌
²¹°¹ ³³²¹³
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Open All Night Forum Index -> THE PROMISED LAND -> LES LIVRES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Administration Panel | How to create a forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Cookies | Charte | Conditions générales d'utilisation